Our School Dog
Our School Dog Teddy
Teddy, our school dog, is a red cockapoo which is a cross between a cocker spaniel and a poodle. This breed has been careful selected due to it's calm nature and ideal temperament.
Teddy will spend his days visiting the classrooms and the children from across the school. Sometimes he will even help us out by looking after anyone who is feeling a bit sad - a little stroke and a look into those big brown eyes is enough to make anyone feel happy again.
There are many benefits to having a school dog, including:
- a calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- improved behaviour and concentration
- reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging participation in more withdrawn children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
We hope that the children of Lostock will gain a great deal of enjoyment from having Teddy in school!
Please find attached our 'School Dog Policy' and 'Letter to Parents', which contain more information about Teddy and his time in school.