National Curriculum 2014
At Lostock Gralam we recognise the vital importance of teaching the skills of Literacy, Numeracy and Information Technology. We seek to achieve a balance between the best of traditional and modern teaching methods in meeting the needs of children of all abilities. Our ‘Start with a Story’ approach to planning each term enables us to teach in a cross-curricular way.
All children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum (Reception) and the National Curriculum. A new curriculum was introduced in September 2014. In addition, work is undertaken in relation to Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education and opportunities are provided to develop broader creative skills. Please scroll down to find an overview of the curriculum for each year group and learning objectives for core subjects such as Mathematics, English and Science. We we still continue to send home termly curriculum newsletters for each class detailing the activities that children will engage with.
The social, moral, spiritual, cultural and our Christian values will be strengthened as our curriculum enables the children to understand the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of the laws, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
Throughout school, you will see a variety of teaching and learning opportunities which enable our children to understand:
- How citizens can influence decision making through a democratic process
- An appreciation that living under the rule of the law protects individual citizens.
- An understanding that bodies such as the police and the army can be held account by people, through the democratic organs of Government.
- An understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law, and an acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour.
- An understanding of the problems of identifying and combating discrimination.
Please click on the link below to find more information about how we promote British Values at Lostock Gralam.