Science is a core subject within the National Curriculum.
At Lostock Gralam, our vision for science is that "All children will become scientific thinkers who are curious about the world around them. They will be inspired to learn through our hands-on, inquiry-based approach to science".
Our Science Curriculum enables the children at Lostock to develop their knowledge and understanding of scientific ideas, processes and skills. Each year group teaches science topics as set out in the National Curriculum.
Through our Science curriculum we aim to:
- Develop a positive attitude towards Science and ensure that children can see the relevance in everyday life.
- Ensure children have the opportunity to investigate and work collaboratively
- Give children the confidence and ability to use scientific knowledge and skills.
- Develop Mathematical skills and enable children to see links to other areas of the Curriculum.
- Allow children to communicate their findings in a variety of ways.
- Encourage children to work both independently and cooperatively with others.
"My favourite thing about science is testing things, like when we tested materials to make our boats."
"I like that we have to find the answer to a question ourselves, rather than the teacher just telling us."
"Investigations are good because it helps me remember my learning."
"I like when we go outside."
Science at home:
To find out more about the Science objectives being covered and the topics covered in each year group please download the attached files.